Page Tabs

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Gamer's New Year Resolutions for 2015

Happy New Year everyone! 

I still have over four hours left here in the States, but I want to copy over a tradition from the PbP site I own/run (GotEXP), where I've posted gaming-related, New Years Resolutions for the past 10 years. 

Before I jump into it, I want to take a moment and thank every one of you who reads this blog. I've never been a consistent blogger and was surprised I actually kept up with it for three months, when I revived the blog back in June. Work and personal life got the better of me for the last four, yet I still noticed activity here and readers checking out my posts despite my inactivity, so I want to keep at it and thank all of you again for reading.

I hope 2015 brings you all joy, the best of luck, and happy gaming!

Now, let's see what resolutions I put down for 2014 and what I accomplished, before I list my goals for 2015:

New Years Resolutions for 2014

1. Run a game of Dungeon World, where at least one PC reaches level 10
2. Have a PC in Dungeon World reach level 10
3. Run and/or play Inverse World and Pirate World
4. See some of my submissions for Pirate World make it into the book
5. Play Mouse Guard, Torchbearer, and Burning Wheel
6. Play Lady Blackbird
7. Play The Quiet Year
8. Play Fiasco and Durance
9. Play FAE and/or FATE Core
10. Play Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
11. Illustrate a scene from one of the Dungeon World/Planet games I play/run
12. Have my PC become chief of the Orc tribe and make a pact with a hobgoblin
1-2. No and no, I haven't ran or played a DW game where any PC has reached Level 10. I still play DW, though, and I'd love to see that happen!

3. No, Inverse World and Pirate World still haven't happened. I almost ran/played IW, but almost doesn't count, heh.

4. Maybe (pending). For those of you who have been following Pirate World's development, it took a plunge for a little while, but the guys behind the Kickstarter are back on it, and Iain Chantler (James Hawthorne on G+) just announced yesterday that the text is all finished. I'm not sure if my submissions made it into the book or not, but either way, I'm still excited to read it and play it!

5. Yes, yes, and yes (sort of), hehe. I played a one-shot, Mouse Guard game who my friend, +Lloyd Gyan, ran at Jackercon IV (http://youtu.be/OFHWbmuVnv4). Lloyd also ran six sessions of Torchbearer (two APs can be found here), which I played in, though the game sadly fizzled out. We've been trying to get at least one more session in to finish up the adventure, but it hasn't happened yet. Finally, I said, "kind of," to Burning Wheel, because I got to play a scripted battle, though I haven't officially played the game through character creation or even a single session.

6. Yes! Lloyd ran a live, Lady Blackbird game via Hangouts one day when Torchbearer didn't happen. It was fantastic! I even started a Lady Blackbird PbP on GotEXP, but it fizzled out and hasn't seen activity since the beginning of the month.

7. No. I tried to get a game in the past, two weeks, but it didn't happen. +Riley Adamson, over on GotEXP, says he's interested in trying out a PbP version, so hopefully that'll happen in 2015.

8. No and no. :( I did get an awesome, Fiasco shirt though, and I still really want to play it and Durance.

9. Yes and no. I finally got to play FAE this past week! It was a one-shot, space noir run by, you guessed it, Lloyd, and it was awesome! I want to try Fate Core next. I should also add that earlier this year, I played a few sessions of Dresden Files with the old, Fate rules run by +James Savko, though it doesn't really count toward the resolution.

10. No, but Lloyd said he'll run a game for me in the future. All I have to do is make a character. I want to make that happen soon.

11. Yes (sort of). I haven't had time to illustrate full scenes, but I did illustrate some characters (including two space gnomes from the Dungeon Planet PbP I'm running who are standing next to a Dalek). You can check them all out here, [url]mishapolonsky.tumblr.com[/url].

12. Yes and yes. Huzzah! My Orc Fighter, Nok, did become Chief in a Number Appearing/Dungeon World PbP game on GotEXP, the Hobgoblin Barbarian PC did join Chief Nok's Inner Circle, so I certainly consider that a pact!



All in all, I accomplished 5/12 of my 2014 resolutions. That's not too shabby, considering that last year, I accomplished about 1/13 resolutions for 2013. Though, as an added bonus, GotEXP finally got its own dice roller this year which was part of the 2013 list.


Anyway, here is my list for 2015:

A Gamer's New Year Resolutions for 2015

1. Run and/or play a Storium game.
2. Run and/or play a Dungeon World game, where a PC reaches level 10.
3. Run Mouse Guard and/or Torchbearer.
4. Create a character for Burning Wheel and play at least one session.
5. Run another 12-13 episodes (game sessions) for the 2nd season of the Tears of a Machine game I ran this past summer (Tales of the Arx Jericho) and post APs for them here.
6. Create and release a supplement for Tears of a Machine.
7. Create and release an adventure module and/or supplement for Dungeon World and/or Adventures on Dungeon Planet.
8. Finish running the current session of the Dungeon Planet PbP I'm running on GotEXP (226: Story of the Year 3443).
9. Finish running the DW PbP adventure, Sagas of Mahr-En (as in see the PCs complete their quest of imprisoning the Bone Wand of Beshi or die trying).
10. Play at least one of the following games: Inverse World, Pirate World, Apocalypse World (via Hangouts or in person), Ryuutama, Numenera, Lords of Gossamer & Shadow, Scarlet Heroes, any World of Darkness with the updated, God Machine Chronicles rules (especially Demon: the Fallen), Urban Shadows, Monsterhearts, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, WH40k Dark Heresy, Iron Kingdoms, Serpent’s Tooth, Fate Core, Fiasco, Durance, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Savage Worlds, D&D 5e, Microscope (to completion), Apocalypse World: Dark Ages (at least a few sessions real-time or further exploration if PbP, since our play tests fizzled out), Wield, The Clay That Woke, and more.
11. Be more active on GotEXP, G+, and the RPG communities than I have been this year.
12. Avoid month-long hiatuses for GotEXP games and/or my blog.

Hopefully I can complete at least half of these goals or more!

What are your gaming New Years Resolutions for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment