Page Tabs

Monday, August 11, 2014

TGW - DW Games, New Projects, Portfolio, Goodies, and More


Despite hectic RL and family emergencies, it's been a pretty good week overall, especially for gaming.

Let's see what's going on in This Geek's Week.


APs, Hangouts, and Live Gaming


ViewScream

I posted the AP for ViewScream of the scenario I played a couple of week ago, Black Widow, Brown Recluse. The AP contains massive spoilers, so read at your own risk, or don't read at all if you want to play the scenario and remain surprised. Robert Ruthven also posted a review of the game on his blog, which I linked to in the AP. Rafael Chandler commented on G+ and loved that we enjoyed it, and Robert and I both told him we did, but it could use more scenarios. Rafael agreed and said he plans on publishing more scenarios for the game which will be awesome.

Another gaming buddy of mine is interested in playing ViewScream, so I'm trying to get a game together with him, Robert, and one other person (maybe one of the two other players who were with us for BWBR). Hopefully the game will go down this Friday, and we'll probably try a different scenario - either The Call of Kullat Nunu or The Culler Out of Space.

Tears of a Machine

I've been working on APs for Episodes 12 and 13, the two-part, season finale of Tales of the Arx Jericho, but I'm not done writing them yet. Hopefully I'll get them posted this week.

Speaking of APs, Russell Collins was awesome enough to mention both my name and Robert's in his latest Kickstarter update about the free DAISY and ePub audio book versions of the game. The audio books are 100% free on the Robot Claw Game Design website and I can tell a lot of work went into making them, so I highly recommend you check them out. The audio books are really well-paced and very easy to listen to. Not too many RPGs feature audio books, and they're especially great when you have little time to read due to constant projects or sitting through traffic. Russell is truly an amazing dude for recording these. 

In other related news, while our group takes a hiatus from the game to play something else, namely Primetime Adventures, I'm designing more Locusts and Magnas for a potential, Tears of a Machine supplement, akin to a monster manual, for the game. I mentioned it to Russell Collins, and he thinks it's a terrific idea. It'll mainly include enemies, such as new Locusts and Magnas, but I'll most likely also throw in rules for custom, aquatic SAInts, tips on marine battles, and unique concepts that came up the game I ran, like MetaTron static and ideas about Mayzor hacking it directly or using human proxies to do so. I also want to illustrate as many Locusts and Magnas as I can; I just need more time and to kick it back into full gear with #dailycreative on G+.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I'll be writing new material and designing enemies for season 2, which I'll be developing for the supplement, and I also plan on asking the G+ community  if this sort of supplement would interest them or not. I've never written or published anything like this before, so it'll be a fun, new challenge that I'm greatly excited for.

Dungeon World

Friday marked the one-year anniversary of a three-part, one-shot, Dungeon World game I ran titled, The Giant Magi and the Stag. That's the link to the AP, if you're curious. Re-reading all three parts brought back a lot of great memories, and I yearn to run another, live DW game sometime in the near future. We were going to continue the campaign, but it fell through, though I distinctly remember running a fourth session. I'll have to post the AP for that too.

Over the weekend, I got invited to a new Dungeon World campaign on G+ Hangouts. We played our first session on Sunday, and spent the majority of the game on characters, bonds, back stories, answering questions, and fleshing out the world. I'm playing Lux, the human Paladin of Zawa, Goddess of the Inferno. We also have a human Priest of Zawa in the party and two elves, a Fighter and a Winter Mage. I'll have the AP up in the next few days, so I won't spoil too much, but I will say we've got an amazing group of players with an awesome GM, and all our characters are connected and truly have a purpose for adventuring together. I can't wait for session two; this is going to be a great campaign if we keep playing.

Torchbearer

We were supposed to play our sixth session on Sunday, but it didn't happen again, sadly. We haven't played for a couple of weeks, and it seems we won't be playing for another three weeks, so I hope the game doesn't fall through completely. I know it happens, but it stinks. I'll remain optimistic and catch up with the APs in the meantime. I have so many to write!

Primetime Adventures

As I mentioned before, it looks like we'll be filling in the hiatus between our Tears of a Machine seasons with a season of Primetime Adventures. Robert will be running the game, and we're just deciding on a pitch for our TV show. David brought up an idea he had called Beta Force about a group of superheroes rising up against a super villain, Unifer, who created a new world order after a cataclysmic, nuclear apocalypse which wiped out a plethora of major cities and the previous group of superheroes, Alpha Force, some forty years back. It sounds pretty exciting, and it looks like we're all leaning in that direction, but time will tell. I'll have more updates on the game's progress.


Art Projects


I really haven't had the time or energy for many #dailycreative exercises, and I've been kicking myself in the butt for it. I got a few drawings done of Tears of a Machine characters from Tales of the Arx Jericho, and I posted up an old map I worked on for the Dungeon World PbP, Sagas of Mahr-En, in the Library of Gaming Maps community on G+.

I'll repost the ToaM drawings and Dungeon World map on here for your convenience. 

Sarah Werner ambushed by CRC scientists in an alley.

PCs & NPCs from Tales of the Arx Jericho

World of En for Sagas of Mahr-En

For future TGW posts, I won't make a habit of posting every, individual #dailycreative exercise and art project directly onto this blog. Instead, I'll simply link to my new, Tumblr site, which I'm using as a portfolio of all my artwork and animation from the past, eight years. Right now, I'm posting these images here, because I have to wait until tomorrow to finish uploading the rest of my most recent work to the site (damn picture limits on Tumblr).

I'll add a page to the blog that'll link to the Tumblr. I still have a dozen or so images to upload, but you can check it out so far if you want.

mishapolonsky.tumblr.com


Kickstarter Rewards, Cool News, and Other Goodies


Aside from Russell Collin's audio book for Tears of a Machine, Johnstone Metzger published a monster manual for Dungeon World. As one of his Patreon backers, I got a sweet coupon that'll cover the expenses of the softcover book minus printing and shipping. Unfortunately, my budget's pretty tight at the moment, but I'll do anything I can to get my hands on a copy and help support Johnstone more. His monthly, Patreon monsters are fabulous, and the book promises a lot more, including full color illustrations, which is really exciting. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to find some commission work soon for a bit of extra cash. 


Yesterday, I received exciting news from Silver Gryphon Games telling me I dominated the July Creativity Challenge and won the drawings for two prizes. They're sending me a set of dice and a PDF of my choice, which is really awesome! I'm truly grateful for the contest, because it helped inspire and motivate me to work on my #dailycreative endeavors each day. I want to thank Silver Gryphon Games for hosting the contest and for the prizes. I haven't been able to check out any of their products yet, so I'm greatly looking forward to that as well.

Finally, I got a T-shirt reward in the mail from the Kickstarter, Fall of Electricity - The Return of Grunge. It's a music album which isn't 100% done yet, but they posted some of the recording on the Kickstarter, and I'm digging it so far. Ross Cowman, creator of the story game, Life on Mars, which I also previously backed, is in the band and was on tour in Spain a month ago with his other band, June Madrona. Aside from the album and T-shirt, one of the KS rewards was a story game called Fall of Electricity: The Return of Grunge by Jackson Tegu, though I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Anyway, here's the T-shirt. I'm pretty sure the album should be done by the end of August, so more on that later.




That about wraps up This Week's Geek. I wanted to catch up with #RPGaDay, but I'll try to write a separate post tomorrow. I still have APs to post for ToaM, DW, and Torchbearer, as well as more detailed accounts of the PbPs, so there's a lot on my plate. I'll get as much done as I can this week, and I'll tell you how it goes next Monday for This Geek's Week.


Take care and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment