Page Tabs

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Magic Item Monday - The Bone Wand of Beshlanishutli

So there's this thing called Magic Item Monday over at the Dungeon World Tavern on G+, and as part of my #dailycreative, I decided to do a light/color study and practice some digital painting, both of which are weaknesses for me that I'm trying to improve upon.

The item I picked for MIM is one that a group of PCs are currently carrying in a Dungeon World PbP I'm running on GotEXP called Sagas of Mahr-En.

I went in trying to draw the bottom half of a femur with some metallic rings and inscribed runes, but as several people pointed out in the tavern, it came out phallic-looking. That really wasn't my intent, but it is pretty funny. I guess I was too focused on capturing light, colors, and values to notice.



The Bone Wand of Beshi or The Bone Wand of Beshlanishutli 
A cursed bone wand from the Jungle of Beshi, it was originally crafted by Beshlanishutli, King of Devils and Sultan of Death. It attracts any undead within near range and glows a bright teal color whenever undead are nearby.  
Certain undead creatures (nightwing, ghosts, banshees, possibly more) may be absorbed by the wand which cause its runes to light up with the same, teal glow. Anyone capable of summoning or manipulating the undead may then draw them back out of the wand.  
I haven't quite figured out what happens when all three runes are fully glowing, but I'm sure it will be terribly evil and detrimental.  
It's also indestructible and unable to be lost or thrown away. If whoever is carrying it attempts to do so, it just comes back to wherever it was stored.  
In the game I'm running, the PCs are on a quest to keep the wand from falling into the hands of Beshlanishutli, his demon offspring, and his minions. Since the PCs can't destroy it, lose it, or throw it away, the only means they have of getting rid of it is by imprisoning it in a special box deep within an ancient, underground temple dedicated to Beshlanishutli. 

One person in the Tavern post also made a good point when they asked: 
Also, if the wand can't be lost, does that mean its location is always known to at least one person? Let's say the PCs succeed in their mission; they bury the wand deep beneath the earth of the demonic temple. Even if no one else knows where it is, the PCs all know. When all the PCs die, the wand's location becomes unknown again, which I read as "being lost". So what happens?
I didn't go into much detail regarding the 'special box' and wanted to include it in the drawing, but technically that's another magic item in and of itself. The point is that the box is the only means of imprisoning the wand. I haven't fully decided why that is, exactly, but the PCs know that whatever magic it holds, it's certainly powerful enough to keep the wand imprisoned.

Here are the drawings. The first one is actually from over a year ago; I quickly drew it up for the game, but tonight I wanted to recreate it in a more realistic style. 

Next time, I'll try and go for a less phallic-look, though that's hard when bone wands are concerned. ;)


Drawing from over a year ago.


Tonight's attempt at a digital painting and light/color exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment